Tuesday 4 September 2012

Breaking the Rules of Reality

Garfinkel's breaching experiments are pretty famous in the sociology world, but what exactly are these “breaching experiments”?  Essentially, Harold Garfinkel was a pretty cool sociologist guy who developed endomethodology as a field of inquiry in sociology.  Garfinkel was interested in how social structures are ordinarily and routinely maintained, which most sociologists would examine by selecting some set of stable features of an organisation of activities and look for variables that contribute to their stability.  Garfinkel thought it would be more economical to start with a situation of stable features and ask what can be done to make for trouble (Heritage 1984, p. 78).
Garfinkel decided to conduct a series of breaching experiments, where he broke the normal rules of a situation and wanted to see create a senseless situation.  The simplest experiment was where the experimenter played a game of ticktaktoe (noughts and crosses) with a subject.  The subject made the first move, and then the experimenter erased the subjects first move, moved it to another cell and marked his own, without ever indicating this was unusual behaviour.  There were 253 experimental trials and in 95% of these, the subjects reacted to this action in some way.  75% of subjects objected or demanded an explanation and the rest assumed there was some sort of new game in progress and adapted to the new “rules” or assumed it was a practical joke.  Essentially, the subjects abandoned the “noughts and crosses” framework and adopted a new interpretive framework to make sense of the situation.  In contrast, people who held on to the idea that noughts and crosses was still in play were pretty disturbed.
From this experiment Garfinkel made two significant conclusions; one that when there were behaviours that didn’t comply with the basic rules of the game people tried to treat it as a legally possible event.  The other conclusion he made is that disturbance was increased if people tried to keep the original set of rules.
So this is pretty interesting, and Garfinkel though so too, but he didn’t think he could take his experiments into real life situations.  Games have obvious rules that can be followed or broken, and life is a lot more complicated.  Also, breaking rules in real life might have more serious consequences.
So he didn’t get his hands dirty, Garfinkel got his students to do the experiments.  The most famous experiments, and the ones mentioned in the reading, are when Garfinkel requested his students engage an acquaintance or friend in an ordinary conversation and, without indicating what the experimenter was saying was in any way out of the ordinary, to insist that the personal clarify the sense of his commonplace remarks (Garfinkel 1963, p. 221).
One of my favourite examples is when an experimenter was in a carpool and the subject said they had a flat tyre.  With the simple question of, “What do you mean a flat tyre?” The subject got really upset, saying “What do you mean? What do you mean? A flat tyre is a flat tyre.  That is what I meant.  Nothing special.  What a crazy question!”
Just looking at this experiment it is clear that the interaction broke down incredibly quickly, apparently even Garfinkel was surprised and how rapid and complete the breakdowns were (Heritage 1984, p. 81).  This breakdown was not just because the subject didn’t want to answer the experimenter’s question; it was because if we can’t bring background knowledge to a situation and obey conversational rules, then mutual understanding and the entire shared experience of life could collapse at any moment (Heritage 1984, p. 95)!
As much as people were very upset at the slightest breaking of perceived normality, Garfinkel couldn’t create a situation that was utterly senseless.  People seemed to be less distressed, indignant and less likely to demand an explanation if they could make sense of the situation in some way (Heritage 1984, p. 83).  So Garfinkel found that all actions, whether in a simple game or a social interaction, are perceived to have a constitutive structure and a threat to the normal order of these events is upsetting because if we don’t behave according to the rules social organisation simply disintegrates (Garfinkel 1963, p. 198).
After some YouTube searching, it seems like performing breaching experiments is a pretty common task for sociology students and people who enjoy creating a little chaos.  So I’ll show you two examples that I thought illustrated the idea of what a breaching experiment is quite nicely.  

In this clip it’s interesting that the lecturer and the audience respond by laughing, which suggests they adopted a framework of thinking that this person is doing flips for their entertainment.  They don’t descend into chaos or assume that it was normal lecture behaviour.

This clip is a fantastic breach of normal behaviour as it’s almost as simple as the noughts and crosses example.  Instead of going down the escalator, the person runs up it.  You probably noticed in this clip too that people didn’t all start running up or go crazy, they just moved to the side and probably assumed the girl was playing a joke of some kind rather than believe a world eists where the down escalator wasn’t down any more.

Another famous breaching experiment was conducted by Stanley Milgram in the 1970s.  Milgram instructed students to ride the New York Subway and ask people to give them their seats.  This experiment was interesting, because not only did many people give up their seats when someone asked with no justification, the students experimenting found the task emotionally very difficult (Luo 2004).  In an article on the experiment in the New York Times, interviews with the students many years later show that they found the experiment traumatic and some were physically sick at the idea of violating the rules of behaviour expected on the subway.  This is very interesting as it suggests that breaking the perceived normality is very distressing even when you do have the framework to know what is going on.  It’s important to note that although both experimenters and subjects in the breaching experiments got upset, angry or even felt sick, there was never a situation where people just decided, “OK, this makes no sense and I can’t comprehend this.”


Reference List:
Garfinkel, H. 1963 ‘A Conception of and Experiments with ‘Trust’ as a Condition of Concerted Stable Actions’ in O’Brien, J (ed.) The Production of Reality: Essays and Readings on Social Interaction, vol. 4, California, Pine Forge Press, pp370-81
Heritage, J. 1984, ‘The Morality of Cognition’, in Garfinkel and ethnomethodology, Polity Press, Cambridge, pp75-102.
Luo, M 2004, ‘Excuse Me. May I Have Your Seat?'; Revisiting a Social Experiment, And the Fear That Goes With It’, New York Times, 14 September, accessed 02/09/2012, http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20F15FE3A540C778DDDA00894DC404482

7 comments:

  1. So, reading through your post and discovered it has actually made this topic seem a little less daunting for me, so thanks for that. I also really enjoyed your use of youtube video's. Good stuff. But if I may offer some constructive criticism, Im not sure if its because I have a really short attention span, but I found myself kind of tapering off towards the end because I think its just a little too long, so I had to really concentrate before I got to the really good stuff :) Please don't be offended, I mean it in a nice way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie, it is awesome that I helped make the topic seem less daunting and I am impressed you got through the whole post! I know it's too long, but I have my presentation on this topic and so kind of overdid the writing to try and get my head around it. I will definitely take your advice into account for my next posts. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Hi Laura,
    I am really glad that I stumbled across your post before I posted what I was going to… I literally had the same video as you (the gymnastics in class one). Anyway, I really like what you had to say about it all as well, you have done a great job in applying it in a sense… that makes sense! I didn’t have to try to make sense of it! I was just curious though if you thought of Garfinkel’s whole “breaching experiment” as very similar to breaking social norms? I found that as a better way for me to understand the experiments Garfinkel was conducting, to think of it in a different but still similar context. When reading the reading and thinking back to the lecture I couldn’t help but think that this idea of trying to break the “normal patterns” and “usual cases” of occurrences that can be relied upon as similar to social norms. So even though Garfinkel’s objective was trying to get people to be in a situation where they could not make sense of something, and in that matter he wasn’t successful. However, I saw his experiments successful in that they were able to transform a ‘usual’ or ‘normal situation,’ in other words break social norms. For example, in the conversation and question, “how are you feeling?” Garfinkel’s experiment was successful in breaking (or breaching) that social norm of usually responding with, “Yeah I am fine.” Or am I not making any sense at all? I’m finding it a bit more difficult trying to explain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brittany, I am so glad that you read - and liked - my post. The flips in class video is pretty interesting isn't it? I completely agree with you that Garfinkel's breaching experiments seem very similar breaking social norms. I'm not sure which term was used first, but Garfinkel did his experiments in the 60s and 70s, and so maybe these experiments informed the idea of social norms? Anyway, I definitely get your point! Garfinkel didn't make a senseless situation, but he certainly made obvious how much society relies on unwritten rules or social norms to function, and without them people either get angry or laugh.

      Delete
  3. HI Laura- I posted this on my own blog in wk 7 as a response to this post of yours, however I couldn't prove I was human until today:

    Outrageously thorough summary/analysis, Laura. I certainly agree with Brittany that your post is very helpful- particularly for me since I'm not a sociology student.

    Garfinkel's breaching experiments aimed to disrupt the orderliness of everyday interactions, but as we saw, others police the behavior of the disruptor and regulate the interaction (Heritage, 1984, p83).

    We like to make sense of everyday interactions when they are disrupted. Laura, you commented on my post in week 5... can you see how this point is evidenced by my behaviour at the UOW networking evening? Firstly, I policed the disruptors, and even went on to subconsciously make excuses for their behaviour- they were "nervous...engineering graduates" competing for the attention of sad, perverted career advisers with shiraz breath!

    Your video examples made me think of Jackass- the show- and how parts of it are almost like one big breaching experiment, or at least the producers try to alter everyday interactions, like in the case of the old woman exiting a taxi:

    (attached above)

    Here, an everyday interaction is complicated and onlookers try to make the situation regulate itself by pretending that the awkward episode has not occurred. It's similar to Garfinkel's breaching experiments in that it's staged, however the situation also encompasses onlookers who are not aware of the event's staging.

    I think I'm Goffman's cynic... I'm often aware of my performance and make little breaching experiments everyday, pushing the boundaries of what is socially acceptable. But as Andy discussed in the lecture regarding Garfinkel and enthomethodology, we must understand how common sense and social acceptability come to appear as they do. It's evident that common sense notions are social constructs when we perceive the world through an ethnomethodological gaze and see the disjuncture between patterns and regulations of everyday interactions... like lining up for buses as Andy once said- go to India and express an inch of Anglo "courtesy" and you wont be getting on that bus, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't figure out why the video I loaded is not coming up here. You can find it here: http://smasheslerat.blogspot.com/2012/09/wk-7response-to-eye-on-people.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ashley, I have had the problem of Google assuming I'm a robot too, it's hard to pass for human these days! I'm glad that my blogpost was helpful. I am not a sociology student either and I think that makes some of these concepts even more difficult to wrap my head around! The breaching experiments are fun though, and I think we can understand them because either we are Goffman's cynics (I think I am) or we are familiar with shows like Jackass. I can see that you were trying to make sense of the drunk engineering students' behaviour, and it's something we all do. If someone speeds past me in the car I think they must be late for something important, or I might describe them in less flattering language. I wonder how many instances in life are accurately described by our excuses and how many are nothing we would expect.

    ReplyDelete