Friday 19 October 2012

Comment on: 'Cunt' - it's an Australian thing



I left a comment on Claire's interesting post  Week 10: ‘Cunt’ – it’s an Australian thing:
Hey Claire, I found your comparison between Australia and Canada really interesting. Are you from Canada? I noticed a big difference between the use of swearing in Canada and Australia when I was exchange near Toronto last year. I don't swear much at all by Australian standards, but in Canada some words that I didn't even think were offensive got a comment! The word "piss" is one that I found people got really offended by in Canada, while in Australia it's pretty commonplace. It's also interesting that you pointed out how words can gain and lose significance so easily. I wrote about it a bit in my post, but when I was young I though "shit" and "bloody" were the worst words in the world, but the more people use them, the more familiar they become. I wonder if we will keep inventing more offensive words once we get used to the current ones so that we never run out of ways to swear...

No comments:

Post a Comment