Tuesday 16 October 2012

Data Discussion - "The Wrong Guy"

Trying to find naturally occurring data to analyse is not too tricky in a world where a lot of stuff gets recorded and posted online.  I was wracking my brain for weeks trying to think of some piece of data I could analyse through the microsociological frameworks I've been learning about when I finally remembered something perfect!  A few years ago I remember seeing on the news that a man at the BBC for a job interview had mistakenly been interviewed as an expert on live television.  I quickly hit YouTube with some keywords in mind and without too much trouble found the footage of Guy Goma, a man applying for a technical support job being interviewed as Guy Kewney, expert on the Apple Music court case.  The facial expressions made by Goma when he realises the mistake that has been made is almost enough to analyse, but the whole interview gives some really interesting insights into the construction of the interview format, social breaching, Goffman's ideas about performances and the concept of self.


No comments:

Post a Comment